January 6, 2012 • 8:00 am
Ok so today I’ve got another recipe from my amazing cousin Tori. Rumor has it this dish came from a Tasha Tudor cookbook but either way, this is another SIMPLE recipe that will blow your socks off.
I’ve made these for breakfast but also for dinner to serve with chili and cream soups. The cheddar can be substituted for pretty much anything you can imagine: blueberries, figs, jalapeÌ±o and white cheddar, ham, vanilla and cherries- you name it. This recipe is foolproof if you follow the instructions carefully.
Tori’s Cheese Scones
Prep time: 15 minutes
Bake time: 10 minutes
1/3 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
1/2 to 3/4 cup milk
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup grated cheddar
1. Preheat oven to 450F
2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt together in a bowl
3. Crack an egg in a glass measuring cup and mix with a fork
4. Add milk to the glass measuring cup until the 3/4 cup mark
5. Mix in the butter with the flour mixture using your hands until the butter is the size of peas. Keep the butter cold!
6. If using the cheddar, mix it in to the dry mixture
7. Pour in the milk and egg mixture and stir with a fork just till it sticks together. Add a bit more milk if it's still too powdery (do NOT over mix).
8. Dump out onto a lightly floured counter, press together gently, and cut into around 6 pieces. Place on greased cookie sheet and bake around 15 minutes till done.
Enjoy! And if you have any of your own scone recipe twists share below!
I made this recipe this morning and substituted semi sweet chocolate chips for the cheese. My husband loved it. Thank you SO much for the recipe! I will definitely make these again!