October 6, 2011 • 12:00 pm
As you might have already noticed, my family is pretty loyal to their Ukrainian dishes when it comes to the Thanksgiving menu. I know cabbage rolls might not sound decadent and amazing, but as I always do, I promise this dish is delicious.
And, just for a good laugh here’s a picture of yours truly in a dorky Ukrainian get up:
…quite proud of that pose.
Lazy Cabbage Rolls
å_ head of cabbage, shredded
1 pound bacon, diced
å_ pound of hamburger
1 large onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans of Campbell’s tomato soup
å_ tsp salt
å_ tsp pepper
å_ cup of whipping crème
2 cups of raw rice
- Boil rice until fluffy, set aside in large mixing bowl
- Brown diced bacon and hamburger
- Remove from grease and set aside
- Lightly brown onions and garlic in bacon fat remains
- Add cabbage and fry until slightly wilted- do not drain bacon fat (this is the key to a good dish!)
- Add onion and cabbage mixture to rice, lightly stirring while adding tomato soup, whipping crème, salt and pepper
- Add bacon/hamburger mixture and toss lightly
- Pour mixture into baking dish and bake at 350 for approximately 45 minutes (until slightly browned on top)
Enjoy…. then go to the gym!
What dish is most popular at your Thanksgiving?