I learned VERY quickly how important it is to stay organized as a new mommy in my first few days of being back to work. Below are a few tips that have helped me stay (relatively) on top of my life all while managing my new little fam!!
1) Utilize Tools and Apps: They are at our fingertips for a reason and that reason is to make our lives easier! I know it might seem like MORE work to plug everything into calendars and lists but trust me, once you get into the habit it becomes second nature and you will soon depend on these glorious life changers.
A few of my absolute favourite apps that I depend on daily are:
- Wunderlist: This app is great for to-do lists for yourslef AND others!! I can add notes for Justin and we keep our grocery list in there so if one of us is out we can see if anything needs to be picked up before heading home.
- Planoly: I use this ALL the time. This app actually helps me orgnize my Instagram page and allows me to see the layout of my page before I post anything…this helps with a flow and consistency of my posts!!
- iCal: I use this handy calendar to keep track of EVERYTHING to do with my schedule – I will go into more detail about the importance of this app next …
- Dropbox: This app is beyond uselful!! I use this to keep ALL of my documents and photos organized!!! I have seperate folders for individual projects and can also share ALL of it with others in matters of seconds!! It’s super user friendly and it swiftly syncs with your phone … no brainer!!
- Sprout: Oh my gosh…where do I begin with this one?!?! This is the app where we track ALL things Leo!!!! From feedings, pumping, sleep, naps, growth and milestones … this app makes it sooo handy for us to stay on top of everything and to track patterns and trends with our little Lion.
2) Schedule, schedule, schedule: Schedule. Everything. This includes YOU time. Block out time in your schedule to spend time with your family, to eat, get ready for your day, SLEEP … the list goes on. I even block out time in my day to “feed Leo”. This allows me to get everything done and it also works as a great reference so that I can get everything done in a timely manner. If it’s not in my iCal it’s PROBABLY not happening that day lol!!!
3) Don’t let your emails build up: Seriously … just the thought of this makes my palms sweat. I like to have a rule that I have 50 emails MAX in my inbox, I consider this my “safe zone”, this is a manageable amount of emails to handle. As soon as my inbox gets ignored for too long the number of emails starts to creep up well beyond my safe zone and the panic starts to set in. If need be I will schedule time during the weekend so I can fly through my emails, once I respond to them, I sort them into dedicated folders and if they no longer need follow-up, trash ’em!
Tip: Work from the bottom up when responding to your emails … that way you deal with the old ones first!
4) Make sure to eat properly: Life can get so busy that sometimes we opt for unhealthy meals based solely on convenience … this is a habit that needs to be kicked to the curb! I know that if I don’t get filling, nutrient-packed meals I feel groggy and it puts me in a crappy mood, which is never good!! Make sure to fuel your body, don’t treat it as a waste bin! Oh, and make sure to drink PLENTY of water, not only will your skin thank you, but you will be more productive when you’re properly hydrated!!
5) Have a tidy workspace: As you all know … I’m a clean freak, especially when it comes to my workspace. I need things in their proper spot and a tidy working area because when my workspace is cluttered, my mind is cluttered!!! I also like to avoid paper whenever I can, a paperless office is prime for me but it can be hard to do at times so it’s always nice to have those papers filed properly and easy to find if you need them.
What are your favourite tips for staying organized?? Share them with me in the comments below …