One of my new year resolutions that continues to be on my list year round is taking time for myself. My schedule is always jam packed with filming, photo shoots, meetings, spending time with Justin, walking Nacho … (the list seriously goes on), that it’s almost next to impossible to take time for MYSELF. If you’re anything like me, you know how hard it is to juggle everything and somehow you always end up putting yourself last. What I’ve learned is if I don’t schedule in alone time directly into my calendar, it just doesn’t happen!!! It is so important for you and your well-being to make the time for you and only you, to just chill out and unwind. It doesn’t matter what you do, as long as it makes you happy. But, I thought I’d share with you, my top 6 tips that I do to take time for myself ….
1. Put on some comfy clothes | This is always the first thing I do as soon as I get home. I recently picked up the cutest” lounge around the house” heart t-shirt and sweats from one of my favourite online stores, Modcloth. They are so comfy and who said you couldn’t look cute while being a sloth!!!
2. Go for a walk | It doesn’t matter if you have a dog or are just walking yourself. Get outside, get some fresh air and get your limbs moving. Trust me, you will feel SO much better when you’re done!!! And how cute is my new dog walking sweater from Modcloth?!
3. Read a magazine | I love a good “old school” magazine to sit on the couch with and read. If you’re more of an electronic person or book person, both of these are great options too! Oh … and BONUS if it’s a Style At Home with a Love It or List It Vancouver reveal in it!!!
4. Have a bath | Baths are underrated. I forgot how good they were until I started taking them again over Christmas. After a long day on set, nothing beats climbing into a warm tub with a candle and silence. Throw in some tunes, essential oils and a glass of wine and it might be the best hour of your month!!!
5. Go to yoga | This is something that I NEED to get back into. Once I’m on a roll my body thanks me and so does my flexibility. It’s crazy how good a simple sweat and stretch can make you feel. Sign yourself up for SOMETHING to go to so that you can’t cancel and those plans are confirmed!!! Tick that time off in your calendar!!!
6. Put on a face mask | This is something I LOVE to do once a week. Call me crazy but I love a good face mask. They make you sit there and pretty much do nothing for 15-30 minutes. If you go anywhere or do anything you will definitely be scaring people away!! And you’re skin will be thanking you for the week to come.
photo credit: Kristin Sarna
How do you take time for yourself?? I’d love to hear in the comments below!