Nothing beats freshly picked apples right off the tree. Whether or not you grew up near an orchard or even just a tree … I hope you all have a chance to experience picking your very own apples and eating them right then and there at least once. Living in the Okanagan, I sometimes forget how lucky I am to have orchards in my back yard and even my very own tree!!!
Last weekend Mom and I took a break from our day and visited a local BC Tree Fruits apple orchard. We had so much fun catching up and finding the perfect apples to pick. Not to mention how much fun Nacho had running between the rows. The more I picked the more I started brewing up different apple recipes in my head. I decided to share with you one of my FAVOURITE recipes that Tori created with my freshly picked apples. But first, go and pick your very own apples!!!
Okanagan Apple Cake
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup raisins
1 cup chopped toasted pecans or walnuts
3 cups grated apple
3 eggs, well beaten
2/3 cup vegetable oil
1/3 cup honey
1. Preheat the oven to 350F and grease a 9″ x 12″ baking pan – line with parchment paper.
2. Mix together all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together all remaining ingredients (apple, eggs, oil and honey).
4. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
5. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean.
Happy apple picking my loves!!!! What will you make with your treasures??