I haven’t shared a pasta recipe in a VERY long time…and this one HAS to be one of my all time favourites, so I’m sharing it with all of you once again!!! Justin and I LOVE the mix of smoky and fiery flavours in this dish, balanced with the smooth, refreshing avocados – it is divine!
2 cups of fusilli pasta (or gf pasta)
1 tbs butter (or coconut oil)
1.5 cups of milk
2 tbs of chilli powder
1 tsp of salt
1 tbs of flour
1 tbs of lime zest
juice from 1/2 lime
3/4 cup of plain tomato pasta sauce
3/4 cup of jalapeño gouda cheese (grated)
1/2 cup of chopped asparagus
1 tsp of olive oil
1/2 cup of bbq’d chicken breast, cooled & diced
1 chopped avocado
1/2 can of black beans
1/2 diced red onion
handful of chopped cilantro
NOTE: This recipe requires 3 stove top pots/sauce pans.
1. For boiling the pasta
2. For the Sauce
3. For the veg/stuffing of this pasta.
1. Boil 2 cups of fusilli pasta ( We used a gluten free pasta and it turned out great! I prefer the quinoa gf pasta as it emulates real pasta the best).
2. In a medium sauce pan, melt 1 tbs of butter (or coconut oil if you are on a health kick)
add 1 cups of 1% milk. In a little cup, break ONE egg, add remaining 1/2 cup of milk & flour & whisk together until smooth. Add this mixture to pot and bring to a low boil while whisking add lime zest & chilli powder, mixing as much as possible while continuing to whisk, your sauce should be slowly thickening. Add tomato sauce and then SLOWLY add grated cheese while whisking. At the end, add salt & lime juice SLOWLY while whisking
sauce should be complete, set aside and whisk every so often.
3. In a separate pan, on low, warm up onion in a tsp of olive oil. Add asparagus & chicken until asparagus is warmed up. Add beans (you don’t want to over cook these items, just warm them up until asparagus is al dente).
4. Add pasta to bowl, pour chill cream sauce over, add chicken mixture, top with a squeeze of lime, cilantro & avocado…ARRRRIIIBBAA…ENJOY!