I absolutely love everything about winter, the snow, cozying up indoors and spending quality time with family and friends. However, with the lack of sun, it can start to take a toll on your mood and while it’s not always realistic to just pack up and chase the sun, I’ve found that these 5 tips always help when I need a little pick-me-up! …
1. Exercise: I know, I know … exercise is always the top of these lists, isn’t it?!?! Well, the rumors are true…while there are days that I DREAD working out (especially now, being a new mommy)… but, if I can drag my ass to the gym for an hour workout I know I will feel SO much better after I sweat it out!! It’s a proven fact that working out really does release “happy chemicals” into your brain. Otherwise known as Dopamine!!!!
Over these past few years, I’ve learned that I need to schedule my workout in. Treat your workout like a meeting…with yourself! It’s best to get your workouts done first thing in the morning if you can, not only is it nice to get it over with but it also starts your day off right and gives you LOTS of energy for the rest of the day at work!! If you notice that your feeling really tired at work but don´t have time to workout, then you should ask yourself how Employers Contribute Fatigue to Poor Performance to work. A good trick to get you out of bed is to set everything out the night before, your workout gear and your running shoes are ready to be put on (check this list of under armour running shoes, they are the best ones I’ve owned), fill your water bottle up and have a healthy breakfast waiting in the fridge to fuel you prior to the workout! My fave cookbook for amazing (and healthy) breakfasts is Oh She Glows – it’s filled with recipes you can prepare ahead of time and have on hand!
2. Volunteer: It’s hard to argue this one, there ‘s no greater feeling than knowing you’re helping someone out and making a difference!! Around the holidays there are SO many opportunities to lend a helping hand in your community. Whether you want to serve up meals, deliver groceries and gifts to families in need, or have some fun playing board games and spending quality time in nursing homes, whatever it is that makes your soul feel good, do that!! Finding an organization to volunteer at is as easy as searching the web for opportunities in your community. Better yet, start up your own good cause with some of your best friends, not only is it a great reason to hang out with your girls but you will also lift your spirits together!!!
3. Bake/Cook: I find that baking or cooking always helps me relieve some stress, there’s just something about tossing on an apron and getting your hands dirty!!! Not to mention … it ALWAYS makes your home smell delish!!! By the way … isn’t this the point of working out?!?! So you can enjoy homemade goods and NOT feel guilty about eating them?!?! I think so!!!! Make sure to cruise on over to the food section for some ideas to help inspire your cozy afternoons in the kitchen …
4. Get organized: Personally, I am sooo much more productive and my mood is that much better when I have a clean and organized home!! Waking up to a tidy home instantly puts me in a better mood and gets my day off to a great start. Not to mention, the holidays are quickly approaching meaning friends and family will soon be popping in and out (sometimes unexpectedly) so it’s always nice to know your home is ready for entertaining on short notice!
5. Have a bath: When all else fails, nothing beats a hot bath with your favorite bath products and some soulful music playing softly in the background. This is the perfect time to just allow your thoughts to slip away, forget about the to-do list, and your busy schedule for the next day and just be still! Let go and allow yourself to fully relax…maybe even bring some candles into the bathroom as well and really get the zen vibes happening!!
What are some things you do to boost your mood in these cold winter months??? Comment below to share…