Happy National Sandwich Day my loves!!!! In honor of this holiday today, Tori from Fraiche Nutrition and I have created a nutrition-packed sandwich full of fall colors and flavors … we call it the “Rainbow Roasted Veggie Sandwich”. Sandwiches have become a bit of a staple for both of us since having a baby, they are the ULTIMATE grab and go food (anything that we can eat with one hand these days is perfect).
Tori, being the nutrition guru that she is, chose to create the sandwich with Dempster’s 100% Whole Grains 12 Grain bread. I love the way that it tastes with all of the roasted vegetables layered between two slices and the fact that it is made with no artificial flavors or colors. These are the ‘little things’ that most people just skim by when grocery shopping, but in reality, these ingredients are important! I must admit, I used to LOVE white bread … but in this veggie-packed goodness recipe, the grainier the better. I will let Tori take it from here …
This sandwich is packed with delicious roasted vegetables and bursts with goodness at every layer. We talk a lot about ‘eating a rainbow’ in the nutrition world (code for eating as many colorful fruits and vegetables as possible), and this pretty sandwich touches all the bases. This should almost be called a vitamin sandwich!
Happy National Sandwich Day loves!
Makes 4 sandwiches
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 medium beets, peeled
- 1 small yam, peeled
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 1 red pepper, seeded & cut into strips
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 8 slices Dempster’s 100% Whole Grains Bread, 12 Grain variety
- 2/3 c. goat cheese
- 2/3 c. olive tapenade
- 3 c. loosely packed baby spinach
- Preheat the oven to 400F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper
- Cut the zucchini, beets, and yam into thin slices, approximately ¼” thick.
- Lay the vegetables evenly on the baking sheets (careful not to overlap or crowd the sheet), drizzle with the olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the vegetables for approximately 25-30 minutes, until they are very slightly browned around the edges. Remove them from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Lightly toast the bread and spread half of the slices with the goat cheese and the other half with the tapenade. Layer the vegetables and spinach on top of the goat cheese layer (you can layer them in the rainbow sequence if you’re nerdy like I am!) and top it with the olive tapenade layered bread slice.
What’s your favourite kind of sandwich?? Share them with us and tag #DeliciousStartsWithDempsters …
Thank you Dempsters Bakery for sponsoring this post. All comments and opinions are my own.