There is a good reason these pancakes are called ‘Angel Cakes’ around our family…they are soo fluffy and delicious! My Dietitian cousin Tori of Fraiche Nutrition makes these for every special breakfast we have, and they just get devoured!!! You can substitute gluten-free flour for the regular flour in the recipe for anybody avoiding gluten (she uses Patricia Chuey’s Gluten-Free Multipurpose Baking Blend). AND….today also just happens to be her wedding anniversary!!!! Congratulations on five beautiful years with your best friend!!!! Take it away, Tori!
Thank you Jilly!!!! These pancakes were nicknamed Angel Cakes by a great family friend who fell in love with them when I made them while camping one morning. He ate the WHOLE batch! This recipe was adapted from Fine Cooking.
3 tbsp. melted butter
2 c. flour
¼ c. sugar
2 ½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 ½ c. buttermilk
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan or microwave and cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix together all of the dry ingredients.
3. In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with a fork and add the buttermilk, vanilla and cooled melted butter.
4. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed: do not over mix! It will still look lumpy.
5. Heat a griddle or pan with a small amount of vegetable oil on medium heat, pour into pancake shapes of your choice, and flip when the bubbles appear on the top and the bottom is golden brown.
6. Enjoy with whatever you like to dress your pancakes with.
I hope you love them as much as Charlie does!!!! Have a great weekend!