Alright, so many of you know that I’m having a (mostly) a healthy start to my New Year!! I may have had a MINOR lapse when I whipped up my Dudes’ Spaghetti Bolognaise this past weekend BUT it was totally worth it…and I blame it on the weather. It was a comfort-food kind of day!!! Anyway, I’m back on the train (or wagon?? However the saying goes) with healthy eating and yoga-ing (we’ll see how long that one lasts) and this past week I’ve been having a super delicious annnd healthy start to my mornings with Bircher Museli.
There’s something about eating a meal that you KNOW is healthy that just makes it taste that much better! Am I right?! I love that leaving the ingredients to soak over night infuses the oats with sweetness of the apple and all of the different flavours of the dried fruits. Plus, the sprinkling of cinnamon gives it a little kick (I highly recommend it)! I’ve discovered that this is the perfect energizing start to my mornings, especially after coming back from a long vacation 🙂 OH! And one other added bonus is that you can really get creative and use whichever fresh fruits, dried fruits, nuts, seeds and grains you have on hand…or you can just throw together whatever you have kicking around your kitchen. Have fun experimenting!!
- 2 cups/150g rolled or quick oats
- 1/4 cup of chia sees
- 1¾ cups/420ml milk (APPROXIMATELY)
- 1 apple, cored and diced with the peel
- 1-2 tablespoons honey
- 1½ cups/375g plain yogurt
- A dash of cinnamon (optional)
- Toppings : your favorite fresh and/or dried fruit, nuts, coconut, dates etc
- My favorites: blueberries, peaches, raisins and pecans
- Combine all of the DRY ingredients (including dried fruits) and put in a tupperwear container.
- The night before, add the desired amount to a tupperwear container along with the apple (helps with the sweetening of the musli) cover with milk and let sit overnight
- In the morning add the honey (to taste), yogurt if desired, and mix well.
- Top with your favourite fresh fruits