I have to admit, I used to LOVE sick days as a kid. My BFF Karissa and I would always TRY to get sick together so we could go to each other’s houses and play ‘get better’ together … but something tells me Leo’s first sick day won’t be as fun. Other than the fact that I will be able to take the day off and just snuggle him all day!!
Leo actually came down with his FIRST fever last night which is thankfully gone this morning thanks to some Children’s Tylenol but it quickly made me realize that I have no idea what to do if he ever comes down with a full blown cold or flu which prompted me to write this blog this morning!!
Several cups of coffee and multiple websites later, I’ve come across some great insights on how to help your babe recover NATURALLY! Below I wanted to share some items I personally want to have handy when Leo comes down with his first sickness! Oh, and if you want to learn some home remedies for curing your babe’s cough, check out this article for tips! Ok … back to it!! …
1. Thermometer: We all know this is the obvious one as it’s so important to keep your babes temperature in check when they’re sick. Have you seen how awesome the baby thermometers are these days?! I just came across one called “Flo” and it can give a reading without even TOUCHING baby!!! Pure magic. There is also a thermometer called the FeverFrida it has a Bluetooth monitor, reads your babe’s temp and alerts your phone through the app, it’s so handy, not to mention super cool!! Lol!
2. Humidifier: We have the Dyson Humidifier at home and we love it but there are plenty of humidifiers out there! Getting rid of that dry air will help loosen mucus and ease congestion, so hopefully, this will help babe get a good night’s sleep! Also, this is a great way to introduce your babe to Aromatherapy by adding a few drops to the water. Saje has a great aromatherapy line for children called the Aroma Fairy that we love!
3. Breast Milk: I’m not breastfeeding anymore but I saved three bags of breast milk for Leo’s first cold! If you don’t have any breast milk stored and want some for your babe, you can buy breast milk from donors! How awesome is that?!
4. Veggie Stock: NOT the store bought stuff … homemade veggie stock! I like to make my own when I feel a cold coming on and now that we’ve started introducing Leo to solids I want to make sure I have this handy to help when he feels down too. I generally just use a mix of veggies (carrots, celery, etc.) and mix it with water!! Simple but it does the trick! It’s so important to hydrate your babe, whether it’s watered down veggie stock, breast milk or just plain water, lots of fluids is key!
5. NoseFrida Aspirator: We all know how uncomfortable it is when we’re battling a cold and our nose is plugged and won’t stop running!! I found a nose aspirator on the Snuggle Bugz website called NoseFrida Aspirator … you LITERALLY suck (yes, with your mouth) the boogies out of your baby’s nose … LOL!!! Apparently, it works really well and there is a filter in it so you don’t actually get anything in your mouth.
6. Natural Products: I freakin LOVE natural products and I love them even more when they work!!! A few of my favourite products right now are the Breathe Balm from Zoe Organics, it’s a blend of essential oils that provides relief from cold and flu symptoms and I’ve used this so many times, it’s completely organic and the best part? Babies over 3 months can use it too! Sniffles Paste by Dimpleskins is always key, and of course, Saline Drops are always handy to have around!!
7. Bath Time: There’s nothing like a steamy bath (and no, I don’t mean with your man … lol … that was PRE-BABY!!) … I mean, a steamy bath for babe! Run some warm water and add a few drops of essential oils to the water such as menthol, eucalyptus or sage oil and let that bathroom steam up so babe inhales some of that goodness to help clear their congestion!
Alright, mama’s let’s hear your tips, ALL OF THEM! LOL!! Comment below and share your wisdom with us and what you like to keep handy for when your baby gets a cold or flu!!