Good morning and HAPPY HUMP DAY! I have a few photos for you today that I’ve been eager to share with you (Number 4 in particular!) … As you know, I’ve been working away on the house, planning how I want it styled, what decor I want to use and where but more importantly I’ve been trying out a few new things I’ve never done before! When I had Leo I knew right away that I wanted to step outside the box and get a little creative with his room and bathroom so my gears started turning and while my mind changes like the wind (lol) I I also wanted to try something that wasn’t permanent … and I discovered peel and stick wallpaper and decals! Anyway, Before I dig into that, thought I would share with you, my 5 EASY ideas on how you can freshen up your walls! I get SO many design questions on the daily so why not give you some tips here?? Alright, let’s get to it!
1. Fresh Coat of Paint: If you’re tired of your old walls and need to liven things up a bit, stop by the paint store, grab some chips, stick ’em on your walls and decide which paint you would like to go for! Brighten up your space with a nice white or light grey or get a little edgy with a POP of colour! On the walls in our home, we went for Cloud Cover by Benjamin Moore, Classic Gray in the bathroom and all of our trim and millwork is Simply White! These are by far some of my favourite neutrals right now!
Some of my favourite greys include:
- Benjamin Moore GREY OWL: Our kitchen and dining room are painted this exact colour. This is a nice LIGHT creamy grey … that isn’t too stark and is classic and clean!
- Benjamin Moore SMOKE: Grey, with a hint of robin’s egg blue! Can you believe I would suggest color?! LOL. Again, a really timeless way to incorporate color is a grey with a subtle tint added to it, SMOKE is the perfect choice for someone wanting color but afraid of the commitment! We used this colour on our new laundry room cabinetry.
- Benjamin Moore THUNDER: A VERY WARM almost brown grey, nice for that ‘equestrian’ or Ralph Lauren effect. Timeless and classic and definitely not too cool!
2. Wallpaper: Wallpaper is an AWESOME way to completely change the look of a room in your home! You can cover an entire room in wallpaper or you can do a feature wall with a crazy pattern! There are so many classic and unique patterns out there to choose from so have a little fun with it!! Have you checked out my collaboration with Milton & King?? We teamed up together to come up with three funky prints and they’re all pictured below!! The beauty of this wallpaper is it peels RIGHT OFF! So if you’re a little on the indecisive side … no worries! LOL!
3. Decals/Murals: Stick on/peel off decals are HUGE right now and some of the patterns are so freakin ADORABLE!! The girls and I recently covered the walls of Leo’s nursery in the CUTEST little spots from Urban Walls!! You literally peel them off of the sheet and stick them on the wall one by one. Side note: I would recommend tackling these sorts of jobs with some girls over a bottle of wine, the job goes by pretty quick when you can have some laughs and vino along the way! ALSO … I just had this AMAZING mural installed in Leos
And then … check out that ship mural below!!! I just had this AMAZING mural from Anewall installed in Leo’s bathroom and it’s absolutely STUNNING!!! I’m in love and it just adds such a cool vibe to the space!!
4. Wainscotting: In our old house Justin and my Dad did a little DIY wainscoting (AKA faux wainscotting), which is the most money friendly way to get this look! Basically, you put up paneling and then trim over the panelling … but you skip the ‘background’ stuff (you can google this if you’re really interested lol!!). And then in our new home we decided to make it a little easier on ourselves and we got all of our wainscotting materials and crown molding and trim from Metrie because they have such a great selection and they ship so fast! We also love them for the fact they can also help you with design and inspo! Wainscotting is timeless and adds character to any home, it also gives it that high end feel without having to spend a bunch of money! AND, if for whatever reason this isn’t in your budget refer back to point number 2 and check out my Milton & King Parlour wallpaper, it looks just like wainscotting!!
5. Shiplap: We have shiplap from WoodTone in our pantry and we absolutely LOVE IT!! If you want that cozy farmhouse feel in your home, then shiplap is the way to do it! I have a little insider scoop for you … WoodTone is coming out with DIY Shiplap paneling this fall!! Click here for more details and to put your name on their VIP launch!
There you have it! I hope you enjoyed these tips!! If you try any of them, or if you have tips of your own, make sure to share them with me in the comments section below!!