My cousin’s husband, Charles, created this amazing combination of ingredients, and I’ve been ADDICTED to this pizza ever since!! For most pizzas, I typically use the Jamie Oliver recipe for pizza dough…it’s FOOLPROOF and delicious!!
Pizza Dough Ingredients
1 kg white bread flour or Tipo ’00’ flour, or 800 strong white bread flour plus 200g finely ground semolina flour
1 tsp fine sea salt
2 x 7g dried yeast sachets
1 tbsp golden caster sugar
4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
650 ml lukewarm water
Pizza Dough Directions
1. Sieve the flour/s and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well.
2. Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
3. Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
4. Remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands – this is called knocking back the dough. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in clingfilm, in the fridge (or freezer) until required. If using straight away, divide the dough up into as many little balls as you want to make pizzas – this amount of dough is enough to make about six to eight medium pizzas.
Pizza sauce of your choice (I like Unico, or sauce purchased from an Italian deli for an extra tangy taste!)
2 handfuls of a grated mozzarella ball…you can opt for skim if you’re on a diet 😉
1/2 cup feta cheese
1 tomato, diced
1/4 cup pepperocini, sliced
1/2 cup red onion, sliced
1/2 cup capicolla, sliced
1. Heat up pizza stone in oven at 350 degrees. Roll out dough to your desired size of pizza, making sure the edges to not go over the pizza stone. Brush the pizza dough with olive oil, and put it in the oven for 5 minutes. This allows your crust to get a head start in getting delicious and CRISPY!!
2. Remove the pizza from the oven, and brush another layer of olive oil on top. The olive oil will prevent your pizza from becoming soggy from the sauce and veggies.
3. Apply the pizza sauce of your choice onto the pizza dough. I like A LOT of sauce on my pizzas, but this step is entirely up to you 🙂
4. Layer the sauce with two big handfuls of grated mozzarella, tomato, pepperocini, feta, red onion and capicolla. Place in the oven for 7 to 10 minutes, until the pizza is golden and crispy.
5. Remove pizza from oven and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Serve it up with your favourite red wine from Okanagan Crush Pad Winery!! My kind of meal!!!!!
Pizza dough recipe from Jamie Oliver.