Hi everyone Tori here!!! First of all, I wanted to thank you ALL for the lovely Birthday messages yesterday. You warmed my heart!!! I feel like the luckiest person ever, the love was rolling in while I got to spend the day in the kitchen with my adorable little helper (talk about best Birthday present ever)!!! We created these delicious Halloween ghost meringues together and had so much fun while doing it. These spooky creatures are perfect for any Halloween party or even a Halloween day activity with your friends and family. I can’t wait to hear what you think. I hope you all have a happy and safe Halloween weekend!!!
½ cup egg whites (4 large eggs)
¼ tsp. cream of tartar
pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sugar
½ c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 200F
2. In your large clean metal or glass bowl add the egg whites and using an electric mixer, whip on medium high speed until foamy.
3. Add the cream of tartar, salt and vanilla and continue to whip on medium high speed until soft peaks form.
4. SLOWLY pour in the sugar.
5. Whip until the mixture forms glossy, stiff peaks.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Fill a pastry bag with the meringue, fitted with a large round tip, and pipe the ghosts in the shape of a mound with a peak on to the parchment-lined baking sheet. To do this start with piping a round base and gradually pipe upwards in a continuous circular motion and gently release at the peak. Repeat until the meringue is used up. Don’t worry if they aren’t perfect…they are just ghosts after all, they look best when they are all crooked in my opinion!
8. Place the sheet in the preheated oven and bake for approximately an hour, until the ghosts are easily removed from the baking sheet.
9. Set aside to cool.
10. Place the chocolate chips in a small microwave safe bowl and microwave at 15-second intervals, stirring in between, until the chocolate chips are melted.
11. Using a thin brush or a toothpick, paint the eyes and the mouth on the ghosts. Alternately you can dab some melted chocolate on the back of candy eyes (I bought mine at the Bulk Barn but Michaels also has them) and press gently to set on the ghosts.
What are YOU being for Halloween!?!? I’d love to hear in the comments below …