Valentine’s Day is just a few days away (11 to be exact) and you might have a date coming up with a very special somebody. You’ve planned your outfit, chosen the location and are excited for some one-on-one time!!! But there’s always the one beauty issue we blow past until it’s too late … how to keep your lips colorful and KISSABLE throughout the night.
Your makeup is always the last thing you want to worry about when you’re on a date. Your eyeliner, mascara and facial makeup usually holds its place (unless you’re going swimming) … but your lips are a whole other story. As soon as you take that first sip of your drink and aren’t near a mirror, is when it all starts to go downhill. BUT .. with the help of my makeup artist Kaitlin Hargreaves, we’ve put together a step by step guide of my 9 tips to kissable lips that will last all night long!!! … Follow along below and get ready to pucker up …
1. Water| Hydrate! Nobody likes dry chapped lips. Drinking a minimum of 8 glasses of water a day will improve the finish of your lips … and not only your lips, your entire face and body too!! No lipstick will look it’s best without a good hydrated lip!
2. SPF | Even more important than moisturizer … SPF!!!! I know it sounds crazy but the team at Project Skin MD recommends using SPF on your face and skin every single day. We all know that sun can be so damaging on our skin but so often we forget about our lips!!! Choose a balm that has SPF in it and protect that pout. Kaitlin uses Jack Black lip balm and Glo Minerals “the mint balm” on me, both with SPF. Help your lips stay younger for longer!
3. Moisturize & Repair | I am a huge believer in lip balm and lip moisturizer. I use the SkinCeuticals Antioxidant Lip repair and absolutely swear by it. If you want your lips to be plump and juicy in time for your date, I recommend using it every night for a week leading up to it!!
4. Exfoliate | I recommend using a lip scrub to exfoliate your lips and get rid of any dead skin once a week. This will help smooth out the surface of your lips allowing your lip balm and lipstick to go on smoothly. There’s nothing worse than a flaky lip, let alone KISSING a flaky lip!!!
5. Lip Liner | I’m letting Kaitlin, my makeup artist take it from here as she’s the makeup pro. Lip liner is used to define the lips and create a crisp clean edge. Line the lips with a pencil that is the same color, or a slight shade darker than the lipstick. Once you’ve lined, then fill in the entire lip with the pencil. This will create a nice base for your lipstick and stop the color from “bleeding.” Liner can be a great way to make your lips look fuller, by slightly overdrawing your lip line you can create the illusion of big juicy lips!!
6. Tint | Lip tint is great if you’re a “non-lipstick wearing” kind of gal. This subtle stain will give your lips life without the mess that can come with gloss and lipstick. I love the Glo Minerals crayons sold at Project Skin MD. If it’s your first time EVER wearing lipstick … maybe opt for a tint instead if you’re going on a date!
7. Lipstick | After your lips are prepped, lined, and tinted, go ahead and apply your lipstick color. Liquid lipstick is amazing for a long-wearing matte finish. It’s smudge proof and doesn’t bleed. Liquid lipstick is highly pigmented and opaque and great for those who aren’t so gentle with their makeup throughout the day.
8. Lip Trend | If you REALLY want to splurge this Valentine’s Day – either on yourself or as a present, you can try injectables. Lips are trending big time right now, and injections don’t need to mean overly plumped lips. You can achieve a natural look that is created precisely for your face. If it’s your first time go talk to Dr. McGillivray at Project Skin MD.
9. Teeth | I know that this is all about lips but your teeth are a part of your mouth so run in the same family. This might be a myth but I find the whiter and cleaner your teeth, the better your lips look!! With your mouth clean and fresh … who wouldn’t want to kiss you!!!
Do you have any other tips to share on achieving kissable lips? Let me know in the comments below …