HOLA SENORITAS!! I don’t know about you but I FREAKIN LOVE MEXICAN FOOD!! I could literally eat cilantro by the pound and I’m not even kidding you, there’s NEVER enough cilantro for this one … LOL! Besides the taste of Mexican food (and the tequila that goes along with it!) it’s literally the EASIEST food to make vegan! Thank goodness for all of those beans and guac!! Mmmmm!!
Anywho, as you probably already know, today is CINCO DE MAYO!! Ayayaiiiiii!!! And what kind of a person would I be if I didn’t share a tasty margarita and vegan taco recipe with you?! Eeeeppp … I’m sooo excited to indulge in BOTH of these!! Now if only my pool was ready … le sigh. Here we go!!
Blood Orange Margaritas
Ingredients (makes 2):
- 3 blood oranges, juiced (approximately 5 ounces, or more to taste)
- 4 ounces tequila
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 1 1/2 ounces fresh lime juice
1. Run lime wedge around the outer rims of two rocks glasses and dip rims in salt. Set aside.
2. In a large cocktail shaker, combine tequila, triple sec, lime juice, and the juice from the blood oranges. Fill with ice and shake until thoroughly chilled, about 20 seconds. Taste and adjust sweetness (adding more blood orange juice if you prefer a sweeter drink)
3. Fill glasses with fresh ice and strain margarita into both glasses. Garnish with blood orange slices and ENJOY!!!
Plant-Based Tacos with Cashew-Garlic Sour Cream
For the tacos:
- Corn or flour tortillas
- 1 red pepper, sliced thinly
- 1 white onion, sliced thinly
- 2 green onions, chopped
- Chopped lettuce
- Cashew-Garlic sour cream (recipe below)
For the taco ‘meat’:
- 3/4 cup green french lentils
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 3 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire
- A few dashes of your favourite hot sauce (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
1. Cook the lentils – Rinse lentils in a fine mesh sieve. Add to a pot along with 3 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce and simmer for 20 minutes until tender. Strain and rinse.
2. Toast the walnuts in a 300 degree Fahrenheit oven for 10-12 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet. Sauté onion and peppers over medium heat until cooked.
4. Add garlic cloves to large food processor and pulse until chopped. Add walnuts and lentils and pulse until everything is combined but still has texture (be sure not to over process and end up with a mushy paste!!). Add mixture to large bowl.
5. To the large bowl, add the spices, seasonings, and salt. Add in olive oil and mix again. Mix in water.
6. Prepare the rest of your toppings and heat tortillas.
7. Assemble your tacos with your desired fillings.
*** (Taco meat recipe adapted from Oh She Glows Green Taco Wraps)
Cashew-Garlic Sour Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
1. Soak cashews for at least 8 hours.
2. Drain and rinse soaked cashews. Place in a high-speed blender along with all other ingredients.
3. Serve with plant-based tacosphoto credit
AND THERE YOU HAVE IT!!! Happy Cinco De Mayo my amigas!!! If you make either of these recipes make sure to share your photos with me on Facebook, I want to see how you celebrate!!!
Jillian, I love how you are showcasing plant based meals – I remember driving behind a cattle truck in Calgary and crying because I could see their eyes and how scared they were. I’m trying to switch myself from meat completely.
If I could ask a favour..could you research horse slaughter in Canada (BC/Alberta) and use your influence to bring it to people’s attention? I would so appreciate it.
You are a lifesaver! I am going to a friend’s for tacos tonight and they eat primarily paleo, and I’m trying to eat vegetarian/vegan right now and I’ve been on Pinterest all day trying to figure out what to bring. Ding ding ding! This is it! Thank you!
All of this food looks SOOO delicious!!!!!! I would love to try making these recipes :).
HI AMANDA PANDA!! OMG yes, the tacos and the margs are AH-MAZING! XOXO
Hi Jillian! How long does the cashew cream last for? Thanks!
Hi Isabelle! It typically lasts around one week in the fridge but you can also freeze it!! XO
I am so glad I tried making this! It is delicious. I am going to try the taco mixture on top of vegan nachos 🙂
Woohooo!!! Let me know how your vegan nachos turn out!!! xoxo
Looks great! anyway to print your recipes?
Not on these older posts but I’m doing that going forward!!