As many of you already know, our garden has totally exploded again this summer! So much so, that I’ve had to get REALLY creative with how I use everything to make sure as little as possible goes to waste! I’ve given away a TON of tomatoes, kale, and zucchini’s to Team Jilly, whipped up a Sneaky Veggie Pasta Sauce and got creative in the kitchen with some herb vinegar and oil DIY’s which I’m sharing with you today.
I’m a sucker for bread (especially a delish homemade sourdough!) and there’s nothing more satisfying than dipping a piece of warm bread into a flavor-packed vinegar and oil mixture … in fact, my mouth is watering just thinking about it! This DIY is one of my favourites as it’s quick and simple, inexpensive, and is the perfect way to extend the life of your garden!
These Herb Infused Vinegar & Chive Oil‘s not only taste amazing but they look really pretty as well, making them a fantastic option for a handmade gift for the foodie in your life, or for a cute housewarming gift!
We made a total of four Herb Infused Vinegar & Chive Oils (recipes below!) and one herb-infused oil! For the oil, we actually just used this Chive Oil recipe by Sippity up! This Chive Oil is also VERY quick and easy to make and it’s perfectly fresh and garlicky! I would suggest adding a little bit of rock salt to the Chive Oil prior to dipping bread in it as I felt like it needed an extra bit of saltiness to make it juuuuust right!
We purchased our vinegar bottles from a local dollar store (mason jars would work great for this as well), washed them up, and added our herbs directly to the bottle (you can use any combination of herbs/vinegar that you like)! The flavour from the herbs starts to infuse the vinegar around the 24-hour mark then the flavour continues to intensify over the course of a couple of weeks. If you make your vinegar like ours, it’s suggested that after a couple of weeks to strain the herbs from the bottle to prevent any possible spoiling. That’s IF they last that long … they’re pretty addicting!
Below are the quick and easy instructions along with our herb and vinegar combinations!
- Select your bottle/jar you wish to make your herb-infused vinegar in. Make sure the container is clean and sterile.
- Choose your herbs! I’ve listed the herbs we used below but feel free to get creative here! Add as little or as many herbs as you wish to the containers – this all depends on your tastebuds! Place the sprigs of herbs into your containers.
- Heat your vinegar of choice to warm, but not boiling. The amount of vinegar you will need will depend on the size of bottles/jars you’re using!
- Using a funnel, pour the warm vinegar into the containers with the ingredients until the container is almost full.
- Let sit for a minimum of 24 hours prior to use to allow the herbs to infuse the vinegar.
Herb + Vinegar Combinations
Lemon & Dill
- Dill (as many or as little springs of dill as you desire – we used about 4 little ones)
- Lemon (cut thin round slices of lemon and add them to the bottle, as many or as little as you wish! We added two slices!)
- White Wine Vinegar
- Oregano (we used 4 sprigs)
- Red Wine Vinegar
- Sage (we used 4 large sprigs)
- White Wine Vinegar (fill container just over halfway)
- Red Wine Vinegar (top container off with this)
Rosemary + Garlic
- Rosemary (we used 4 sprigs)
- Garlic (we used 2 cloves – feel free to thinly slice these so they infuse more!)
- White Wine Vinegar
There you have it! We hope you have fun with this DIY! Also, please feel free to share YOUR favourite herb combinations in the comments section below!