It seems as though we’re ALWAYS on the go in this household … well, I guess that’s because we ARE always on the go! LOL! But lately, I’ve been realizing that because we are so busy, we tend to eat dinner late, so I wanted something for Leo that I could warm up in a flash and something that would still be organic, nutritious and homemade. And that’s when my Power Patties were born!! I mean, he still gets special meals but on those days when I “can’t even” he gets a little Power Patty!
These Power Patties are like a savory granola bar! They are packed with fiber, protein, and vegetables! You can really make these however you want, you can make them vegan, or, if your family likes meat, you can replace the crumbled tofu with cooked turkey and add an egg in replace of the flax egg! I WOULD still add the flax powder in with the meat, however, because it is so nutritious! You can even make these just eggless or just meatless … there really are SO many options for this recipe so feel free to change it up based on your family’s preferences!
While they are awesome because Leo loves them, they are also perfect for adults too! I find myself grabbing them just before I head out the door or before the gym! Not to mention, they’re ridiculously good with a little dollop of mustard on top!! You could also toss the patties in some lettuce along with your desired condiments and toppings and have a delish lettuce wraps!
Typically I don’t ever add salt to anything I feed Leo but because I’m taking these with me on the go and because both of us are eating them I like to add a pinch of salt and pepper. I also never shy away from spices in my recipes for Leo as I want him to grow up with an adventurous palate. I always switch things up depending on how I’m feeling when I’m making these but sometimes I’ll add in garlic, Italian herbs, chili powder, curry powder. Etc. you can honestly add in WHATEVER spices you want!!
You guys are probably sitting there thinking … ok Jill … let’s get to the recipe … I’m starving and my kids are screaming!! LOL!! Fair enough … here we go!
- 1/2 cup of each mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, and onions (You can use ANY veg that you like!)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 package of medium organic non-GMO tofu (Any protein can work, such as free range turkey, pasture raised beef, wild salmon or even chickpeas!)
- 1/2 cup of flax powder (Flax is SO good for you but you can also use 1 free run egg instead of the flax and water mixture if you wish! BUT you have to use one or the other as this acts as the “binder” in the mixture.)
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- Any desired herbs/spices
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 clove crushed garlic or 1 tsp of garlic powder (Optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Celsius.
2. Cook quinoa according to instructions on the package. Set aside to cool.
3. Finely dice mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, and onions. Add diced veg to a large bowl.
Note: You can use any veggies that are in your fridge!
4. Crumble tofu with your hands into the same bowl as the veg, add quinoa to the mixture.
5. Add coconut oil, flax powder, herbs/spices, and garlic.
6. Add a little water to the mixture, you only want to add enough water so that the mixture sticks together!
Note: The ground flax seed, water, and coconut oil acts as an egg and helps with binding the mixture as well as keeping the patties moist. It takes about 5-10 minutes for the flax powder to react with the water so be patient!
Bonus: Flax seed promotes breast milk production for new mamas!
7. Mix thoroughly with your hands.
8. Spray your baking sheet with oil (I like to use coconut oil) or line baking sheet with parchment paper.
9. Form mixture into mini patties (think sliders!) and line up on baking sheet.
10. Cook for about 30 – 40 minutes at 375 degrees Fahrenheit until done (flip halfway through cooking time so they cook evenly).
Also, once my Power Patties are cooked and have had time to cool down, I like to portion them out into ziplock bags (2 per bag) and toss them in the freezer!
There you have it!! My go-to recipe is now here for you to enjoy!! Make sure to comment below if you’ve given them a try and let us know if you did anything differently!